I put an old cycle computer on the bike which is attached to the turbo (remembering to fix it on the rear wheel).
According to the computer, yesterday’s hour session produced an average speed of 41 kph (25.48 mph) with a maximum speed of 71 kph (44.12 mph) – and that was having lost top gear after 20 minutes.
Either my lay-off has really improved my cycling or the turbo is not exactly ‘real world’. Sadly, I think I know which it is.
I had no idea if that’s good on a turbo (or this particular turbo) – but it seemed sensible to ignore the actual figures and just use them as a comparison by which I can see whether or not I’m working hard on future sessions.
This afternoon I managed 44.6 kph over the hour (27.72 mph). – at least, that was the pace as calculated by the computer. Good to be able to gauge my effort – but I fear that I’ll always to want to beat my previous best.
I think I’ve just created a rod for my own back.